We are New Zealand’s world-class independent biomedical research institute, with a focus on breakthroughs discovered in immunology and immunotherapy.
At the Malaghan Institute, we know that the immune system holds the key to preventing, treating and curing the most prevalent diseases of our time.
We use cutting-edge research to understand how to leverage the immune system to fight disease, develop new immunotherapies to more effectively treat these diseases, and we are committed to taking our research into the community to provide treatment options for us all. As a registered charity, we are owned by New Zealand, for the benefit of all.
Together we can harness the power of the immune system and save lives. The opportunity
You’ll be joining a team of specialist, high calibre fundraisers who are driving the Institute’s revenue growth forward. You'll be part of a high performing team who deliver across a number of disciplines: direct mail, regular giving, digital, major donations, trusts and foundations, bequests, and business giving. You’ll also be playing a critical role in one of New Zealand’s foremost medical research Institutes making a real difference in people’s lives.
It’s a great time to join us. We’ve been doing amazing work over the last two years to refresh and improve all levels of our giving programs, our systems and processes. We’re now looking for a capable fundraiser who can take ownership of our major gifts portfolio and ensure exceptional stewardship of some of our most significant supporters. You'll also relaunch and breathe new life into our bequest giving program. Day to day you’ll:
- Scale our income stream up by:
- Owning the major gifts program and ensuring regular touch points with our donors
- Using your exceptional relationship management ability to cultivate existing relationships
- Supporting our Philanthropy Specialist to progress prospects through to becoming larger givers
- Working closely with our Individual Giving Specialist to prospect in our Mid Value program
- Creating and actioning a new strategy for our bequest program
- Managing and supporting a calendar of research updates, stewardship and cultivation events across the country
- Partnering with our Friends of the Malaghan Institute fundraising groups
- Work directly with our major givers to provide an outstanding stewardship experience through the creation of bespoke journeys, impact reporting and feedback pieces
- Use your solid database skills to prospect and progress supporters, and consistently ensure all records are up to date
- Provide regular reporting including dashboards and pipeline forecasting
- Generously support the wider team, rolling your sleeves up to help out where needed.
As our new Philanthropy and Legacy Giving Fundraiser, you’ll be able to relate to leading philanthropists and heads of business and adapt effortlessly in any situation. You have a natural ability to relate to people, with a strong commitment to relationship management, donor cultivation and care. You pride yourself on your strong organisational skills and attention to detail. Your experience includes a range of marketing tools and techniques, enabling you to use a multi-channel approach to keeping a portfolio of supporters engaged and enthused to be part of our scientific journey. As some of our donors and events are outside of Wellington, an ability to speak publicly and travel occasionally is essential.
As you’ll be joining a skilled and supportive team, prior fundraising or major gifts experience is not essential for this role. What you must have is a strong commitment to Malaghan’s mission, the ability to provide outstanding supporter care, and a strong team ethos. Perhaps you're a career fundraiser looking for an opportunity to take a program and make it your own. Or you could be in a strong relationship-based role and want to make the change to a more rewarding career in the philanthropy sector. Why you’ll enjoy it here:
The Malaghan Institute is an equal opportunity employer and we value diversity at our company. We do not discriminate on the basis of race, religion, colour, national origin, gender, sexual orientation, age, marital status, or disability status.
- We support and engage in life-saving projects
- We have an incredibly supportive culture and a passionate and talented team
- We are family friendly and support flexible working arrangements
- We generously support you in your learning, development and further study
- You’ll have exposure to a unique research environment working with highly driven scientists and support staff
- The Malaghan Institute has an excellent location, with great offices at Victoria University in Kelburn offering a great supply of cafes and other amenities
- The Malaghan Institute's staff have access to a range of facilities and services at Victoria University including the research library and onsite gym
If this exceptional role sounds like you, please don’t delay, click “apply" now with your CV and cover letter telling us why you’d be a fantastic addition to the team. We’ve partnered with Kin to fill this exciting role. If you have any questions before applying, please contact [email protected]