The Malaghan Institute of Medical Research is New Zealand’s leading independent health research organisation, with around 100 staff dedicated to finding cures for cancer, infectious diseases, and allergic and inflammatory disease. The opportunity
We are looking to appoint an experienced and capable leader for our Development Team, to oversee the management and reporting of the Institute’s development and fundraising activities. This is a fantastic opportunity to play a critical role in one of New Zealand’s foremost medical research Institutes making a real difference in people’s lives.
The mission of our Development Team is to raise awareness of and provide financial support for the goals and objectives of the Institute, and to develop relationships with private and public sources of philanthropy. The team delivers on a wide range of engagement and awareness activities for individual donors, grant providers, corporates, contributing members, support groups, affiliates and the general public.
As our new Head of Development, you will hold a sound understanding of New Zealand’s philanthropic sector. Proven success running high net worth fundraising campaigns is essential, particularly around bequest programmes. You will demonstrate a strong commitment to donor cultivation and care, with a natural ability to build and maintain networks, and to address the Institute’s diverse audiences at both small and large events. Your leadership skills will be second to none, ensuring our highly capable and driven Development Team feel supported and empowered to continue their great work. In addition to the above you’ll:
It would be desirable if you:
- have oversight of all development and fundraising activities of the Institute
- lead the creation and implementation of the Institute’s development strategy
- effectively lead all areas of the development department, including responsibility for approximately six direct reports
- have responsibility for the support culture of the department
- be experienced in financial and functional strategic and business planning and reporting (including Board reporting)
Why you’ll enjoy it here:
- are well networked or can demonstrate the ability to establish appropriate networks
- have a Tertiary qualification in business and/or marketing.
- Have multi-disciplinary team leadership experience
- Are media savvy
- We support and engage in life-saving projects
- We have a supportive team culture
- This role includes international and domestic travel
- You’ll have exposure to a unique research environment working with highly driven scientists and support staff.
- Malaghan has an excellent location, with great offices at Victoria University in Kelburn offering a great supply of cafes and other amenities.
- You’ll love your reserved parking space.
- Malaghan has access to a range of services from Victoria University’s Research library.
Malaghan are an equal opportunity employer and value diversity at our company. We do not discriminate on the basis of race, religion, colour, national origin, gender, sexual orientation, age, marital status, or disability status.
If this exceptional opportunity sounds like you, please don’t delay, click “apply now” with your CV and cover letter telling me why you are the “one”, or contact [email protected]
for more information.