About the company
Glendora Avocado is a 25ha orchard situated just outside of Whangarei on beautiful Whatitiri Mountain. Our avocados are exported internationally and enjoyed locally through our retail and wholesale partners under the brand ‘King Avocado’. We also have a small orchard of kiwifruit in its infancy but with capacity to reach greatness.
We are looking for a new Orchard Technician / Manager to come on board and oversee the operations of our fast-growing orchard. About the role
In the role of Orchard Technician / Manager, your primary focus will involve managing the day to day operational tasks for the orchard. This will include:
- Overseeing harvesting activities including quality control and picking sequences
- Managing and implementing the nutrient programme
- Maintenance of orchard equipment
- Canopy management
- Irrigation management and maintenance
- Overseeing the pollination programme
- Occupational health and safety and food standards compliance
This role will see you largely working on your own, so you will need to be a self-starter who can work independently and keep motivated. However, there are others who can support you, so you need to be someone who isn’t afraid to call on this when you need it. Experience with avocados is not required but an enthusiasm to learn about this rewarding crop will be. You will also bring:
- A hands-on approach towards orchard management
- An ability to work with horticultural machinery (chainsaws, tractors etc)
- Initiative and an ability to take ownership of the role
- An interest in agriculture or food production/nutrition
- Resilience and discipline to see things through
- Empathy for nature and a desire to do the right thing for our plants
- An ability to pick up new concepts and processes quickly
- Previous agriculture experience (ideal but not essential)
Perhaps you are a seasoned Orchard Manager or are looking for a lifestyle change to step into agriculture; we’d like to hear from you either way!
We have partnered with Kin to fill this exciting role. If you’re ready, ‘apply now’ with your CV and cover letter, letting us know why you’d be a great fit for this role. Or if you have a question, get in touch with Tracey Fletcher on [email protected]
Applications close as soon as we find the right candidate!